Monday, December 07, 2009

poor kids. with no other available choices, i had to be the one to teach my oldest son how to wrap a gift. from the looks of the crumply, wrinkled results, he's a quick learner. i really tried hard to cut straight and tape nicely and make crisp corners, but you know. we both pretty much wanted to get it over with.

in a splurge of holiday spirit, i also made peppermint bark with my youngest. the recipe called for a block (how many squares is a block, anyway? the whole thing?) of white chocolate and a bunch of (like 12) crushed candy canes, all dumped on the stove until it melted and then dumped on some wax paper to freeze. easy peasy, and you've all made it beautifully yeah yeah yeah. so why is it yellow instead of white? i've never really seen yellow peppermint bark. i haven't tasted it yet but i'm pretty sure it won't taste like peppermint bark.

he he. yes ladies. this is it. my first installment of the annual "very imperfect Christmas" series.

stay tuned for more imperfection.

6 Comments:

Blogger cherk said...

Ummm when you make "bark" you use the almond bark that is in the baking section, real white chocolate-while tastier turns a weird color. But really when you are between the ages of 4-10 who cares what it looks like, it is all about licking the bowl here, we all know that is the best part

8:25 PM

 
Blogger Karen said...

Dude, I'm going to the store for almond bark and candy canes. Mmmmmm. For the record, I would totally eat your yellow bark. Send some with my Christmas card.

6:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooo.. I've never made it, but i think i can actually do this one!! Thanks for sharing.

So glad the "never eat yellow.." rule doesn't apply to candy. :)

7:22 AM

 
Blogger Karen said...

I stopped at the local grocery last night and asked for almond bark. The wide-eyed bleached-blond lady said, "Um, no. But maybe around the Holidays." I just stared at her like I do the kids when I'm hoping they'll figure something out. There was nothing firing in there, so I just thanked her and walked away.

Her nametag said KAREN.

6:04 AM

 
Blogger carey said...

karen, that is hilarious. i wonder if she ever did figure it out.

7:37 AM

 
Blogger cherk said...

maybe down south they call it candy coating?

11:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home