Thursday, October 02, 2008

someone gave us a huge bag of apples yesterday. i'm wondering what i should make out of them...besides a pie, which nobody in this house will eat (and because I just threw out the lovely peach cobbler i slaved over awhile back). should i just make a load of caramel apples and take them to school? anyone? and remember, it it involves more than one pan, one bowl and three steps, i'm out.

9 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Um, can you peel? Applesauce is really easy, and so so yummy.

1. Peel
2. Cook
3. Add sugar

Ok, it might be a little tiny bit more complicated than that. Check out this recipe.

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000102applesauce.php

6:55 AM

 
Blogger bobbione8y said...

apples are apples. i'd eat em raw, and forget the cooking :)

11:06 AM

 
Blogger mommyville said...

Peel them.
Cut them up.
Put them in salt water while your cutting...
Freeze them in 2-4 cup portions for later.

Later;
take out a bag or two
add sugar and cinnamon
cook
make thick apple compote (applesauce)

take out one bag
put in baking dish
cover with a little oatmeal, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon
put little pats of butter on it
cook
make apple crisp

take out one bag,
add to pork roast or other meat while cooking

take out one bag,
put on ice cream with caramel sauce

take out one bag,
add whipped cream and snicker bars, SALAD!

12:37 PM

 
Blogger carey said...

wow. you guys are good. thanks!

12:45 PM

 
Blogger DeAnn said...

I like the snickers salad, we make that here alot. Another idea...

Peel
Slice up in a pan
Pour water, cinnamon, sugar and a little vanilla over the top.
Bake at 350 'til apples are soft.
Throw some big marshmellows on top.
Put back in oven for 5 minutes or so.

EAT!

It's really good. I don't use any measurements, I just throw everything together. The kids love it too.

8:39 PM

 
Blogger mommyville said...

Deann,

I GOTTA try that one! Yummo!

7:48 AM

 
Blogger Rocky said...

I have not made this as I just bought the cookbook it came in so if you make it let me know...it sounds yummy if you like oatmeal.

Baked Apple-Nut Oatmeal
4 C. milk
1/2 C. brown sugar
2 tsp. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 C. old-fashioned oats
2 C. chopped, peeled apples
1 C. chopped walnuts
1 C. raisins
1 C. wheat germ

Preheat oven 350. In a med. saucepan over med. heat combine milk, brown sugar, butter, salt, and cinnamon. Add oats, apples, walnuts, raisins, and wheat germ; mix until combined. Pour mixture into greased 2 qt. baking dish. Cover and bake for 45 min.
Serves 6
and only 2 pans!

2:57 PM

 
Blogger Rocky said...

oh~ I also chop them up in a green salad with a little feta and balsamic vinegarette.

2:59 PM

 
Blogger DeAnn said...

Yes, Rani do!!!

Your kids will love them! Marshmellows make everything taste even better!

6:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home