Monday, October 22, 2007


this email is a plea to my friend susan, who is currently wandering around lost at Cargill, looking for her temporary cubicle.

sus: as you can see from this photo, i need your help. i had high hopes for this pathetic baked good and the other 26 just like it. those hopes are as deflated as the cookies i bake.

remember when we were in college, and you would whip up those rocking chocolate chip cookies without using a recipe? they were THE BEST COOKIES I HAVE EVER EATEN. i think my roomates would second this. as would my husband. he still claims to this day that if he had to marry one of my college roomates, it would be susan. because of her chocolate chip cookies. and her wicked sarcastic charm, of course.

so susan, lay it on me. how do you make your cookies lumpy and thick and so dang perfect? i know you don't use a recipe, but for me...could you try? i swear i won't tell anyone :)

my morale could use a real lift. and my husband could use a real cookie.

9 Comments:

Blogger bobbione8y said...

that is one "bu** ugly" cookie.

i'm sure it tasted good, tho, right?


:) thanks for the pic.

6:14 AM

 
Blogger Karen said...

I think your first problem is that one, lonely chocolate chip I see.

Susan's cookies are the best thing I have ever, ever tasted in my life. I have not managed to reproduce them, but I do have a few tips that are born of trial and error.

1. Use real butter
2. Double the chocolate chips
3. Chill you batter a little before putting dough on pans.
4. Never put cookie dough on a pan that is hot out of the oven.

6:45 AM

 
Blogger carey said...

yes, butt ugly. and it gets worse. i had to send these cookies to school with my son for class treats. ugh. poor kids.

ok. real butter. more chips. cold dough.

susan...we're waiting...

7:40 AM

 
Blogger mommyville said...

did you REALLY scan your cookie. You are a true blogger now, when real food items get in the scanner, you know it's forever...

Um, do you have the Let me Lick the Spoon Cookbook from the elementary school a couple of years back? I have found 2 cookie recipes that I just love in that one...

8:35 AM

 
Blogger Susan said...

I just read this and almost wet my pants. Oh Carey. I will post this evening with the recipe. I actually haven't made those cookies for awhile, so need to look around. I cheat and buy the Nestle Toll House premade because my kids actually prefer those if you can believe it.

I also truly believe that the house at 111 6th Ave. Brookings, SD had a magic stove.

Do you think it might have anything to do with the mice that lived in it?

9:56 AM

 
Blogger DeAnn said...

It might be the little green man that lives in the oven and beeps when the food is done (see previous post) :)

I want that recipe too! I use the recipe on the back of the Nestle toll house chocolate chip bag. Never tried chilling the dough though...must put that one in my memory bank.

10:45 AM

 
Blogger Anne said...

you just need to go buy that vat of cookie dough at sam's. then don't tell anyone.

1:12 PM

 
Blogger bobbione8y said...

i love all the posts, but i'm with karen ;)

seriously, carey, i think about anything would be a step up from that poor little cookie ;)

6:13 AM

 
Blogger Chris said...

I know you might not read this, but I hear the secret is LOTS of real butter. Oh, and Susan? I will be writing that recipe down and baking those cookies today! I can't believe you are actually, after all these years giving it up!

9:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home