today my young son and i were taken for a ride at the mall. i was just walking through, running a quick errand, when i was accosted by those kiosk people. you know, the ones who always want to put lotion on your hands or have you taste something? well, this time i wasn't paying attention and suddenly there was this warm, great smelling neck massage thingy wrapped around my neck. and before i could even say a word, little j had one on too. then this lady starts talking about the soothing sensation and the aromatherapy and how great this feels and how it stays warm for over an hour after you put it in the microwave and then she straps one on my lower back and ohhhhhhh it feels pretty good and she won't stop talking and i know i'm being schmoozed but i'll just say no thanks as soon as she shuts up...
finally i ask how much, and she says 'how much, how much, people always want to know how much!" and she launches into showing me the whole "system" of warm massage thingys. finally, after forever, she tells me the price. i laugh outloud.
$159 for 4 warm, aromatherapy massage pillows, but today she'll give it to me for $99.
i begin to walk away. she says "today ONLY, I give it to you for $60."
i say $60 is too much, and walk some more.
she says "ok, i never do this. but if you promise not to tell anyone, you can have the system for $40. that's my final offer. and remember, this is worth $159."
i bought it for $30. we are SUCKERS.
come on over if you want a warm aromatherapy massage. only $9.99, and i'll throw in a ginzu knife.

4 Comments:
I'll be right over. Hehe this one made me giggle. I know how those people can be...and you know I have a hard time saying no too. i'm a sucker right along with ya. But hey, bet you're relaxing right now with that thingy-majingy around your neck. Aaaahhhh...
9:06 PM
I have $70 worth of hand cream and body scrub, purchased in much the same way. In Vegas, those kiosks are run solely by tanned and handsome South American men who schmooze in sexy accents. My solution is sprinting past.
12:01 PM
In Portland once I had one of those ladies hawking a ceramic hair iron that actually told me if I used it my hair would not be so frizzy! Did that work for her...I don't think so!!!
7:04 PM
At least you aren't a sucker who actually paid full price! Way to talk her down, even if you didn't mean to.
11:52 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home